HISTORY OF CRANBROOK & DISTRICT ARTS COUNCIL
Cranbrook and District Arts Council beginnings can be traced back to the evening of March 13th 1945 when The East Kootenay Fine Arts and Handicrafts Association was formed. Fees were set; $2 for active membership and $1 for associate membership. (Cranbrook Courier, courtesy Cranbrook Archives). The group was responsible for Cranbrook’s first International Folk Festival held in November of 1951 in the Mount Baker Auditorium. Thirteen countries were represented. The organisation became incorporated as a non- profit society under the Societies Act of British Columbia on May 17th 1973. Its fortieth Anniversary was celebrated in the Ktunaxa Gym in May of 2013 with a Gala Concert.